Where land is severely polluted and affecting a statutory receptor, we are the primary regulator and need to assess that land to establish whether further action is needed. We provide the following services:
- carry out inspections of sites;
- determine the extent of contamination;
- designate whether the site is deemed a 'special site' (the Environment Agency are responsible for enforcing this); and
- act as the Enforcing Authority for contaminated land not designated as a special site.
Public register of contaminated land
We hold a register of sites that have been formally determined as contaminated land. The register contains the following information:
- Site location
- Details of the site owner or occupier
- Identification of the pollutant linkage, which confirms the land is contaminated land, to include source, pathway and receptor.
Treatment of contaminated land
When land has been confirmed as contaminated the enforcing authority must:
- confirm who should be responsible for treatment or remediation;
- decide after consultation what treatment work should be done and check that this is carried out;
- decide who is to pay for the treatment and
- maintain a public register of all regulatory action in relation to contaminated land.
Land is only considered contaminated if it affects:
- Human beings
- Certain ecosystems
- Certain property, or
- Controlled water
For more information download the following documents or contact Karen Toomer, Contaminated Land Officer on 01594 812398 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Site Investigation Updates
The sites listed below are either currently under investigation or are where an investigation has been completed within the district. All relevant correspondence and information will be listed within each individual site listing.
The fact that a site, or property/land contained within that site, are included on this website does not mean that they are 'contaminated'. Reference should be made to the official public register, which can be viewed at the Council's offices, to see if land has been determined as 'Contaminated Land' under the Environmental Protection Act 1990.
Furnace Close, Cinderford