Driver licences

There are two types of driver licences:

Dual driver (hackney carriage)

  • can drive both taxis and private hire vehicles
  • need to pass an area knowledge test

Private hire driver

  • can only drive private hire vehicles 
  • cannot accept any bookings unless they either are, or work for, a licensed private hire operator within the Forest of Dean Council area
  • need to pass an area knowledge test  

Apply to be a private hire or dual driver 

Contact us on 01594 810000 to book and pay for a knowledge test:

  • It costs £41 which must be paid on the day of the test
  • You must take photo identification with you to test
  • You will get your result within 5 days of the test

Once the knowledge test is passed please:

  • Download the hackney carriage and private hire medical form and make an appointment with your GP to have a medical
  • Complete a driver assessment test: contact Gloucestershire County Council on 01452 425662 to book
  • Complete a Child and Sexual Exploitation (CSE) Training course: contact FODDC on 01594 810000 to book onto a course date
  • Obtain a DVLA reference number from GOV.UK
  • Complete a Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check (see below). These must be done every 3 years.  It costs £54.69 which must be paid online at the time of submission to DBS

Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) checks

Apply for a DBS check

  • Select: Disclosure and barring service (DBS) application
  • Enter the following details:
    • Organisation reference: Cotswold
    • Organisation Code: council
    • You will be required to pay a £54.69 online fee to complete this process

When you have completed and submitted the form, please:

To process your application, you need to bring 3 forms of identification to the Council offices to be checked by a member of reception. For information about what is allowed for a DBS check please:

If you have any previous cautions or convictions, these will need to be determined by a Licensing Sub-Committee. Please refer to our policy on convictions for more information.

Submit your taxi licence application

Fill in medical form

Please return your completed application form, DBS reference number, medical certificate, DVLA reference number, assessment certificate, a passport photo, and fee by:

  • email and pay over the phone to
  • post or deliver to: Licensing, Environmental and Regulatory Services, Forest of Dean District Council, High Street, Coleford, GL16 8HG

Applications must be submitted fully complete to be processed. Your application will be processed within 5 working days.

Renew a drivers licence

Please make sure that you know your licence expiry date. Renewal documents will not be provided so as the licence holder it's your responsibility to:

  • download the dual driver licence application form
  • make sure you return the form to Environmental and Regulatory Services (ERS) 7 working days before the licence expires so we can process your renewal.

Please return your completed renewal forms by:

  • emailing them to: or
  • posting or delivering them to: Licensing, Environmental and Regulatory Services, Forest of Dean District Council, High Street, Coleford, GL16 8HG.

Immigration Act 2016 - proof of right to work

From 1 December 2016, applicants will be required to prove that they have the right to work within the UK. We will call to book a 10 minute face to face interview to check your right to work in the UK. You will need to bring in original documents for this check and suitable ID:

  • View list of valid ID documents
  • If you have a permanent right to work within the UK, you will need to bring in a form of ID from List A
  • If you have a period of 'leave' you will need to bring in a form of ID from List B, Group 1 or Group 2 depending on which group applies to you.

This check is only needed once and, if you have the right to work, won't be required for future renewals. If you have a period of ‘leave’ we will need to check each time the licence is renewed. We will keep copies of the documents on file for audit purposes and for potential information sharing with the Home Office.