Private hire vehicle licences

To operate your vehicle as a private hire vehicle you need to get it licensed.

Private hire vehicles

  • are only available by booking through a private hire office within the Forest of Dean District Council area
  • cannot be hailed in the street 
  • cannot park on the taxi ranks
  • can set their own fares

Requirements of licence

  • The vehicle must be fitted with no smoking signs, first aid kit and fire extinguisher
  • The vehicle must be no more than 5 years old

Documents required with application

  • Insurance showing that you are covered for private hire use
  • An MOT (no more than 4 weeks old
  • a Vehicle Inspection Report by one of the Council’s authorised test stations – see table below. Please ring to make an appointment and find out the current fee before you take your vehicle for inspection 
  • V5 (or proof of purchase)
  • Completed application form (when you sign this you are agreeing to our conditions which can be found in the handbook for drivers and operators)
Test station name and address Telephone number
Cinderford MOT & Service Centre, Steam Mills Road, Cinderford 01594 822983
 Five Acres Garage, Beech Road, Five Acres, Coleford 01594 833517
Overbrook Services, Hawkwell, Drybrook, Gloucestershire  01594 542279
Richard Read (Transport) Ltd, Longhope, Gloucestershire 01452 830456

Apply for a private hire vehicle licence

Apply/renew for a private hire vehicle licence

The fees are:

  • a new licence costs £167
  • to renew licence costs £154

Please return your completed application form, documents and fee by:

  • email (pay by phone) to:
  • post or deliver to: Licensing, Environmental and Regulatory Services (ERS), Forest of Dean District Council, Council Offices, High Street, Coleford, Glos,GL16 8HG

Your licence will be processed within 5 working days.

Renew your licence

Please make sure that you know your licence expiry date. Renewal documents will not be provided so as the licence holder it's your responsibility to:

  • download the application form from this page
  • make sure you return the form to Environmental and Regulatory Services (ERS) 7 working days before the licence expires so we can process your renewal.

Transfers of vehicle licences

Transfers follow the same requirements as new vehicles and will be processed within 1 working day.