Contact Information

Forest of Dean District Council
Council Offices
High Street
GL16 8HG

Tel: 01594 810000

Contact/Find us

Housing options

Housing advise, housing options

This service responds to housing need by providing advice and information about available housing options, monitor Choice Based Lettings through the Gloucestershie Homeseeker Scheme and provide advice and assistance to people threatened with or experiencing homelessness.

The service is located in the main Council Building in Coleford and our specialist team provide a drop in service where they will be happy to explore your housing options with you. The drop in times are as follows:

Monday 10am - 12pm
Tuesday 2.30pm - 4pm
Wednesday 10am - 12pm and 2.30pm - 4pm
Thursday 10am - 12pm
Friday 10am - 12pm and 2.30pm - 4pm
However, if you would like to book an appointment please contact the Housing Options Team on 01594 810000 or by email

If you have attended a drop in or Housing Options appointment recently we would be interested in hearing about your experience, so if you would like to complete a survery please click here.

Persons experiencing homelessness between 5pm and 9am on weekdays and at the weekend should contact the Emergency Duty Team on Gloucester 01452 614194


Advice Available

Disputes between landlords and tenants - for example getting your deposit back or harassment and eviction.

Homelessness – early intervention often prevents households from losing their accommodation and you should contact us to discuss your situation as soon as possible.  If you are homeless you are entitled to advice and might also be entitled to accommodation. 

Housing Exchanges - Two Rivers Housing manage the Mutual Exchange List for tenants wishing to exchange with another housing association tenant.  You can contact Two Rivers Housing on 0800 316 0897 by visiting their website or by email.  You may also consider completing an application form for the waiting list and this can be done by completing an online form found at Gloucestershire Homeseeker.  If you want to exchange your home with a property in another area there is a national register available at UK Home Swap

Housing Options - we can advise on the available housing options for those looking for alternative housing.

Mortgages – people fall into mortgage arrears for numerous reasons such as unemployment or health problems.  There are a number of schemes available that you might be able to access to allow you to stay in your home even if court proceedings have already begun.

Notices served by landlords - a notice saying that the tenancy is ending (A Notice To Quit) - a tenancy agreement has already expired or where a tenant may have breached their tenancy agreement.

Relationship breakdown – many people are unaware of their rights when they separate from their partner.  Some people suffer domestic abuse and do not know where to turn for help. 

Rent increases - in most situations landlords have to follow a set procedure before increasings the rent.

A selection of Advice and Information Leaflets are listed below, which the Government has produced for tenants and landlords.


The Department for Communities and Local Government website has a range of leaflets that can be downloaded.