Contact Information

Forest of Dean District Council
Council Offices
High Street
GL16 8HG

Tel: 01594 810000

Contact/Find us


The Council does not provide a sandbag service to residential or commercial properties.  Sandbags can be purchased from most builders' merchants and properties prone to flooding can make more robust arrangements by installing preventative measures such as 'flood boards' to doors and air bricks.  The Council will continue to support communities in the event of an emergency and will regularly review and update our plans to ensure that we are prepared.  The Gloucestershire Local Resilience Forum have produced a video guide on how to effectively protect your property against flood water using sandbags.

The Met Office flood warning service has three types of warnings that will help you prepare for flooding and take action, these are known as the flood warning codes.  The Environment Agency website also provides detailed information on flooding; including Pre-flood advice, how to prepare your property for flooding and flood warnings currently in force.  Residents can also register for the Environment Agency's free flood warning service - Flood Warnings Direct by using this link or by calling Floodline on 0845 988 1188. They have also developed a website about flooding, knowing if you are at risk and being prepared -

Useful contacts and Information

Forest of Dean District Council Out of Hours Emergency number: 01594 810000 (only for use in an emergency)
Floodline: 0845 988 1188
Gloucestershire Highways 24 hour emergency number: 0800 0 514 514
Severn Trent emergency number: 0800 783 4444 for help with sewer flooding
Welsh Water: 0800 085 3968 for help with sewer flooding
Two Rivers Housing: 0800 316 0897
Gloucestershire County Council switchboard: 01452 425000

All enquiries or advice on Consenting, please call Kevin Jack on 01993 861333.

All enquiries or advice on Enforcement, please call Laurence King on 01993 861341.

Any other information required, please call Dawn Morgan on Monday,Tuesday or Thursday on 01594 812263.

The Local Goverment Association have put together information on Flood Management Responsibilities.

The following leaflets provide useful information on flooding:
General Information following a flood
Cleaning up safely after a flood
Coping without mains water
Responding to Major Floods: What to expect from your home insurer
Flooding Advice from Public Health England and the Environment Agency

Gloucestershire County Council Flood Guide 

National Flood Forum - The National Flood Forums Blue Pages Directory provides an independent directory of flood protection products and services.

For more information and health advice, visit NHS England's website or Public Health England's website

Financial assistance for flooding

Government flood support schemes for Homeowners and Businesses

People whose homes and businesses were flooded between 1 April 2013 and 31 March 2014 can now apply for a government grant of up to £5,000 through the Repair and Renew Grant scheme announced by the government on the 1 April 2014.

The purpose of the grant is to help people with the cost of buying and installing new measures to reduce the chances of flooding or limit the damage should they be flooded in the future.

This could include things like a new driveway barrier or replacing doors and windows with water resistant alternatives, or moving electricity sockets to a safer level.
Even if property owners have already fitted new measures following this winter’s flooding they can still apply for the grant retrospectively to cover the cost.

The Council urge anyone who was flooded to apply for a grant to become more flood resilient.  As the likelihood of flooding increases, taking measures to improve property resilience are especially worthwhile.

The Repair and Renew Grant scheme is only available until 31 March 2015.
For any house or business property that was flooded in this period other support is available as detailed below:
  • Business rate relief scheme giving rate relief for 3 months for any business property flooded between 1 December 2013 and 31 March 2014
  • Business Support grant – this is available to support businesses that have been flooded or whose business has been adversely affected by flooding between 1 December 2013 and 31 March 2014
  • Council tax relief scheme giving council tax relief for 3 months for any property flooded between 1 December 2013 and 31 March 2014


Application forms and guidance are available by phoning 01594 810000 or emailing

Farming Recovery Fund

Farmers whose businesses have been directly affected by flooding will be able access government support for 4 key areas of recovery:
  • the restoration of productive grassland;
  • the restoration of productive arable and horticultural land;
  • restoring farm vehicle access to fields;
  • improvements to agricultural drainage.

Defra's Rural Development Team will administer the scheme.

Support for the Tourism industry

The department for culture media and sport have announced a support package to help firms in flood affected parts of England that rely on tourism.  This package is being organised locally by Desination Organisations. 
A simple guide to all the funding available from central government for those affected by flooding, including eligibility and how to access that funding is available by clicking on the following flood support schemes website link. 

More information on the Council’s emergency planning.

Over the past few years the University of Gloucestershire/University of the West of England (UWE) have been collating 'Flood Memories' in the form of short digital stories and photographs from Gloucestershire residents affected by past flooding.  These stories are available via the University of England YouTube channel More information on the project is available via