Pride of the Forest Awards
The Pride of the Forest Awards have been designed to acknowledge the achievements of the unsung heroes in our community who give their own time to help others. It enables us to say ’thank you’ to those who rarely get the recognition they deserve.
Run in partnership with The Citizen newspaper, six of this year's awards are sponsored by the following organisations; Barnwood Trust, Lucozade Ribena Suntory Limited, Freedom Leisure, Hartpury College, NHS Gloucestershire CCG and Glevum Conservatories.
Please see below the award categories, the nomination period for this year is now closed. The award categories are:
- Community Star (sponsored by Barnwood Trust) This award is for an individual who has made a significant contribution to their community.
- Young Community Star (sponsored by Lucozade Ribena Suntory Ltd) This award is for a young individual (under the age of 18) who has made a significant contribution to their community.
- Sportsperson of the Year (sponsored by Freedom Leisure) This award is to acknowledge the sporting achievements of a Forest of Dean official, organiser, competitor or team.
- Young Sportsperson of the Year (sponsored by Hartpury College) This award is to acknowledge the sporting achievements of a young (under the age of 18) Forest of Dean official, organiser, competitor or team.
- Carer of the Year (sponsored by NHS Gloucestershire Clinical Commissioning Group) This award is for the carer of a Forest of Dean resident who goes above and beyond their role.
- George Read Community Award (sponsored by Glevum Conservatories) This award is for a local community group, parish or town council that has done the most for its community or delivered the best community project/scheme. The award winners will also receive a cheque for £250 to be used for the benefit of the local community.
- Citizen’s Readers’ Choice Decided through a Citizen’s readers’ poll, this award is for the person who has made a significant difference for the benefit of the Forest of Dean community.
- Chairman’s Lifetime Achievement Award Chosen by the Chairman, Cllr Jane Horne, this is her Lifetime Achievement Award for an individual’s service to the local community.
Pride of the Forest Awards 2017
The awards ceremony took place at the Bells Golf Club on Friday 19 May 2017. All finalists were invited to attend the dinner and the winners were announced on the night. Details of the 2017 winners, finalists and their achievements can be found below.
This is a Gloucestershire charitable organisation helping people with
mental health problems and disabilities make the most of their lives. Focusing on the things they can do and to harness their strengths and potential to enable them to feel fully welcome in their communities. You’re Welcome is Barnwood Trust’s ten year plan to promote friendship and focus on breaking down barriers and to seize new opportunities. Build on what’s strong and not what’s wrong.
Lucozade Ribena Suntory
They have over 85 years of knowledge, expertise and insight, incorporating two of the UK’s biggest soft drinks brands – Lucozade and Ribena. Based out of Stockley Park in West London, the formation of the company follows the acquisition of both brands by Japanese drinks giant Suntory in 2014. Both Lucozade and Ribena are well-established brands in the UK, and have been enjoyed by millions ever since they surfaced on the high street during the 1930’s. With their head offices based in London, they will be retaining the manufacturing plant based in Coleford.
They provides affordable, accessible leisure and sport opportunities for everyone. With a range of activities from swimming, tenpin bowling, ice skating or learning to dance. The safe and fun environment will help individuals to achieve their ambitions and goals, irrespective of age, means or status. Their unique service inspires families to participate, having a positive impact on the health and wellbeing of our communities.
This is one of the UK’s leading land-based and sports colleges and one of the world’s largest equine education facilities, winning national university titles in rugby and football. They are an Associate Faculty of the University of the West of England (UWE) (since 1997). They currently have more than 1500 students working towards foundation degrees, honours degrees and postgraduate qualifications and approximately 2000 full time students completing A Levels, BTEC Diplomas and short courses. The college was awarded ‘Outstanding College' status by Ofsted for its further education courses and facilities in November 2009 and ‘Outstanding’ for residential students in 2012.
NHS Gloucestershire CCG
They put GPs and other clinicians in the driving seat for the commissioning (buying) of health services, as they know the most about local people’s health needs. From April 2013 they took on the lead role (supported by experienced managers) for buying local NHS services such as emergency care services, operations or treatments that can be planned in advance. These services are provided by a range of ‘provider’ healthcare organisations, such as NHS Trusts. We are bringing our knowledge of patient care to look at how services are planned and how the patient’s journey through care can be improved.
They are one of the largest independent installer of conservatories, doors and windows in the south-west. They are a family-run firm, and have working with more than 40,000 customers for over 30 years. They use a high-quality range of products installed by their experienced team. They can advise on conservatories, replacement windows or how double-glazing units can help reduce energy bills, the service is them followed through their aftercare team. Glevum can also offer products and services for home security, home improvement and home furnishings, from solar panels to security access systems and from hot tubs to new driveways.