Dogs - lost and strays
Report or claim a lost or stray dog
To report or claim a lost or stray dog please:
- call 01594 810000 9am-4.45pm Monday to Thursday and 9am to 4.30pm on Friday or
- email email@example.com
Out of office hours the kennels are open from 8am to 11pm, including weekends and bank holidays. For more details, please:
- call the kennels on 07876 641854 or 07505 820220
If you pick up a stray dog, we will collect it and take it to our council-appointed kennels. The owner will then have seven days to claim him/her.
If a dog is microchipped with up-to-date contact details we will get in touch with the owner to confirm we have their dog. The quicker we can contact the owner, the lower the kennelling charges.
Kennelling charges for stray dogs
Charges to release an impounded dog are as follows:
|Kennelling per day||£8.50|
|Veterinary fees||At cost|
For a summary of our stray dog procedure, please:
Dangerous dog incidents are dealt with by Gloucestershire Constabulary so to report an incident please:
- phone 101 non-emergency number
Microchipping and responsible dog ownership
It is a legal requirement that your dog is microchipped. Microchipping helps us reunite you with your pet quickly. If you would like one of our Street Wardens to micro-chip your dog:
- at your home costs £15.00 per dog or
- at the council offices in Coleford for £10.00 per dog
If you are thinking about owning a dog, or if you already have one:
- Make sure that your dog is trained in basic obedience. Look for a local training class.
- Worm your dog about every 4 months, puppies more frequently. Ask your vet for advice.
- Clean up after your dog - bag it and bin it!
- Make sure your dog has a collar and tag with your address details. This is a legal requirement and without it, you could be fined. Your telephone number and postcode are optional, but useful.
- Read our dog owner's guide
Ignorance of the law is no defence. Please contact us if you need advice.
Community Animal Welfare Footprints Award 2017
The Forest of Dean District Council's dog warden service has been awarded for the fourth year running a Gold standard RSPCA award in recognition for our policies and procedures for stray dogs: