Tree Preservation Orders (TPOs)
TPOs are made by a Local Planning Authority to protect trees which make a significant contribution to the amenity of an area, particularly when they are considered to be under threat.
Request a TPO
Anyone can request that we consider making a Tree Preservation Order on a tree. If you wish to make a recommendation for a tree to be protected please write to us providing:
- details of the tree species, location and details as to why the tree should be protected
- a clear plan and photographs of the tree
- where possible details of the owner of the tree
Requests should be sent to:
Forest of Dean District Council
Factors we consider include:
- Visibility – is or will the tree visible from a public place, i.e. road, footpath, park?
- Size and form – is it of benefit to the present and future generations?
- Significance of the tree within its surrounding environment – are there other trees within the area that are more significant?
- Contribution to the amenity of the area – Do the trees or will they, contribute to the appearance/setting of an area? Do they screen an eyesore? Do they contribute to the setting of present and future developments?
Support from local residents and or organisations such as Parish/Town Council are advantageous.
Once a TPO is made
Once an Order is made the tree is protected provisionally for a period of 6 months. The owner of the tree or members of the public can object within 28 days of the Order being made. If there are no objections to the Tree Preservation Order the Order will be confirmed within 6 months. If an objection is received, the Order will be considered by the Planning Committee. They can do one of three things:
- Confirm the Order with no modifications
- Confirm the Order with modifications
- Not confirm the Order - If the Order is not confirmed the tree is no longer protected.
This must be done within 6 months of making the Order.
Tree Preservation Orders (TPOs) made since 2014
- Kings Meade, Coleford DFTPO226 provisional order.pdf 608.7 KB Downloads
- Coalway Road, Coleford DFTPO219 confirmed.pdf 780.6 KB Downloads
- Land Adjacent to the Old Vicarage DFTPO211 confirmed.pdf 463.3 KB Downloads
- Staunton Road, Coleford DFTPO212 confirmed.pdf 655.3 KB Downloads
- Union Road, Coleford DFTPO209 confirmed.pdf 389.9 KB Downloads
- Huntley Court DFTPO200 confirmed.pdf 494.4 KB Downloads
- Land West of Newent Lane, Huntley DFTPO208 confirmed.pdf 1121.8 KB Downloads
- Freemans of Newent DFTPO221 Confirmed.pdf 373.8 KB Downloads
- 6 Lakeside, Newent DFTPO207 confirmed.pdf 546.4 KB Downloads
- Land Off Old Station Road DFTPO198 confirmed.pdf 562.9 KB Downloads
- Southend Lane, Newent DFTPO202 confirmed.pdf 284.1 KB Downloads
- Southend Nurseries, Newent DFTPO215 confirmed.pdf 528.2 KB Downloads
- The Old Quarry, Cliffords Mesne DFTPO204 confirmed.pdf 424.7 KB Downloads
- The Stables, Southend Lane, Newent DFTPO214 confirmed.pdf 513 KB Downloads
- Land East of Drury Lane DFTPO206 NOT CONFIRMED.pdf 900.5 KB Downloads
- Land East of Drury Lane DFTPO210 confirmed.pdf 239.5 KB Downloads
- Land at St Johns on the Hill, Tutshill DFTPO218 Confirmed.pdf 122.4 KB Downloads
- Land at St Johns on the Hill, Tutshill DFTPO217 NOT CONFIRMED.pdf 1222.6 KB Downloads
- Orchard Lea, Woodcroft DFTPO205 confirmed.pdf 493.1 KB Downloads
- Whittington Way, Bream DFTPO222 confirmed.pdf 546.1 KB Downloads
- Whitecroft Scovill DFTPO223 confirmed.pdf (3) 527.2 KB Downloads
- Bream Rugby Club DFTPO203 confirmed.pdf 523.4 KB Downloads
- Cross Keys Garage DFTPO199 confirmed.pdf 389.8 KB Downloads