Dates for your diary
We believe that 'you can live well with dementia' with the help of many life enhancing activities run in the Forest of Dean.
The Dementia Action Alliance have pulled together a list of both regular weekly groups and events, as well as one off sessions that you are welcome to attend:
- view Dementia Action Alliance Dates for your Diary January 2018
- view Dementia Action Alliance Dates for your Diary February 2018
Dementia awareness sessions
We can provide free, informal Dementia Awareness sessions to individuals, community groups, schools and organisations.
Sessions encourage relaxed and open discussions by using the 'Let's Talk Dementia' board game which was developed with other members of the Forest of Dean Dementia Action Alliance. To arrange a session in your community or to book onto a scheduled session please contact us.
To find out more about how the board game was developed please:
Forest of Dean Dementia Action Alliance
The Forest of Dean District Council is a member of the Forest of Dean Dementia Action Alliance which is a partnership of organisations and individuals who are working to:
- Make sure that everyone in the district living with dementia is respected and can continue to enjoy living their lives in their own community as well as possible for as long as possible
- Support the wider community to understand dementia and inspire and enable people to do things which contribute to a dementia friendly community, which are generally more welcoming communities
- Develop a network of local community champions who will support each other and the wider community
Get involved - join the Forest of Dean District Dementia Action Alliance
Many organisations and individuals are involved in the activities of the Forest of Dean Dementia Action Alliance. We welcome support from across the community. If you are interested in any way please contact us.
To support and enable dementia friendly communities across the district the Alliance is working over the following five areas:
|Place||Working proactively to make community buildings and places more accessible|
|People||Giving people information and raising awareness of dementia. Inspiring and enabling people to 'turn their understanding into action'|
|People with Dementia||Involve people living with dementia and their families as much as possible, in a way that is important to them|
|Networks||Enabling people forums where people can come together to network, share best practice and be supported|
|Resources||Create and share resources|
Could you become a community dementia link?
- are interested in getting to know more about dementia
- are passionate about dementia
- feel that you have the skills, knowledge and life experiences which you could use to support others in some way - big or small
Would you like to use your local connections to help develop dementia friendly communities?
The Forest of Dean Dementia Action Alliance provides free training, support and resources to community dementia link people. Please contact us to find out more.
Dementia accessible places and spaces
We have been told by people living with dementia that making buildings more accessible to them would help so the Alliance has developed an interactive checklist so people can assess the accessibility of their community buildings and spaces. For more details please:
Give someone a twiddlemuff
Twiddlemuffs are knitted handmuffs that provide stimulation while promoting increased flexibility and brain stimulation. They provide comfort and reassurance for people with dementia. If you would like to give a twiddlemuff to someone please contact us.
Contact the Community Engagement Team
You can contact us to arrange a dementia awareness session, get involved in the Forest of Dean Dementia Action Alliance, find out more about our survey or become a community dementia link person. Please:
- call 01594 812617
- email Community Engagement team