Housing grants

Update to the disabled facilities grant process

The county-wide home improvement agency Mears - Safe at Home closed at the end of July 2017 so the Gloucestershire councils are working together give residents support and guidance to apply for a disabled facilities grant (DFG).

We will process grant applications with input from the Occupational Therapists who provide the specialist clinical advice. We are providing a directory of companies who can give advice on major adaptations.

Mandatory Disabled Facilities grant (DFG)

Grant assistance is compulsory for adaptations to give the disabled person more independence in and around their home and access to essential facilities. A grant up to £30,000 can be given. Adaptations range from ramps, stair lifts, replacing a bath with a shower to building a ground floor bathroom extension. For more information, please:

Council and housing association tenants

If you’re a Council or housing association tenant who needs minor adaptations such as grab rails you can request this work directly from you landlord.

Steps to request a Disability Facilities Grant

Step 1: Contact relevant Social Services helpdesk below to set up a visit and assessment by an Occupational Therapist

Grant assistance can only be considered once the council has received a referral from an Occupational Therapist so the first step to making a grant application is to phone the relevant helpdesk below and set up an Occupational Therapist assessment to see if they think adaptations would be necessary to meet the disabled person’s needs.

Helpdesk Telephone Email and website
Adult Social Care 01452 426868 Email: Adult Social Care team
Website: Gloucestershire council social care
Children and families for disabled children up to 19 years 01452 426565 Email: Children's helpdesk
Website: Gloucestershire council social care

Step 2: The Occupational Therapist will send the council a referral if they think adaptations are required to meet the medical needs of the disabled person

Step 3: The Grant officer will contact the applicant to start the application process

For more information please:

Discretionary grants

Warm and well grant

We are working with the Warm and Well scheme to help make people's homes warm and energy efficient.

  • You can get help and advice regardless of your level of income.
  • Grants are available for those on low income and a bulk discount scheme makes sure we get competitive prices for those able to pay for works themselves
  • The maximum grant under the Warm and Well scheme is £5,000, at the discretion of the council.

For more information and to apply, please:

Relocation grant

In some cases if adaptations are too costly or not feasible, we may need to consider rehousing to a more suitable property. There is a discretionary grant available from the council that could help with relocation costs and/or purchasing costs of a new property. For more information about rehousing to a housing association property, please:

Apply to be listed in the contractors' and agents directory

If you're a local contractor in Gloucestershire and would like to apply to be listed in the contractors' and agents directory for Gloucestershire please: