Coronavirus business grants
Update on Restart grants
Thank you to everyone that has responded to the Restart Grants email we sent to eligible businesses requesting the additional information we need to process payments in line with Government rules. So far 65% have responded within a week which is brilliant. However, that still means 256 business who may be eligible have not yet provided us with the information we need. If you haven’t responded please check your inbox.
If you have received a grant from us since November 2020 but have not had an email, please check the eligibility criteria on our website to make sure your business qualifies.
We will be able to start paying those businesses who have responded with the correct information from next week. Due to the high number of applications payments will take time to process over the coming weeks so thank you in advance for your patience.
For those that haven’t received a grant from us before but think they may be eligible for the Restart Grant, the application form is now open on our website.
Update on Additional Restrictions Grant (ARG)
Now we have clarity on the eligibility of the Restart Grant we have revised the criteria for the ARG to support local businesses based on local needs. We will be changing our scheme to extend vital additional support to those businesses that continue to be severely affected by Covid but are ineligible for the Restart funds.
We are working as quickly as possible to pay the grants and the improved application will enable more businesses to access financial support quickly once launched. We will provide an update next week on the criteria and application process for these new grants.
What you need to do to apply for a grant
Follow the guidance and eligibility criteria on this page to see what business grant support you are entitled to.
You will not need to reapply if you:
- have made a previous successful application since November 2020
- applied for a grant during or after November 2020 but have not yet been successful. We will contact you to discuss your application.
You will need to apply for a grant if you:
- have not received, or applied for, a grant during or after November,
- were unsuccessful in your previous application
Types of grant
The application form(s) are for the following business grants:
- Local Restrictions Support Grant - from 16 Feb to 31 March 2021
- Restart Grant - from 1 April 2021
- Additional Restrictions Grant - from 1 April 2021 (Currently not open - as mentioned above)
How to apply for a business grant
Complete the form linked below.
We will confirm receipt of your application by email. We understand the urgency and importance of these grants. We are expecting a high level of demand and will process the grants as fast as we can. We will let you know the outcome by email.
Applicants should fill in the relevant form as soon as you can. Make sure that you submit all the information requested as incomplete applications can experience significant delays. Once you have made an application check your emails and respond to any requests for further information as quickly as possible.
Rate paying businesses closed by national restrictions
Use this form if you meet these three criteria:
- You were mandated to close by national restrictions. This applies to hospitality, leisure and sports facilities, non-essential retail, accommodation, entertainment venues and personal care facilities. This includes businesses that have had to close the main part of their business but have adapted their business model to provide a reduced service e.g. takeaway or click and collect.
- You are liable to pay business rates, even if your bill for this year is £0 due to reliefs or exemptions
- You were operating a business that was open as usual and providing an in person service to customers from the business premises on the day before national restrictions coming in
You are not eligible if any of the following apply and you:
- do not have a business rates account
- are not required to close by law during national lockdown periods
- have a business that mainly provided takeaway or click and collect services before government restrictions came in
- have already received grant payments that equal the maximum levels of state aid permitted under the De Minimis and the Covid-19 Temporary State Aid framework
Businesses severely impacted by national restrictions (ARG grants)
The Additional Restrictions Grant (ARG) scheme is currently closed to new applications. As expected we received a high volume of applications over January to March and cannot accept any further applications for that period to ensure we do not overspend on the funds allocated to us.
If you are not eligible for a Restart Grant, you may be eligible for a grant under this discretionary scheme. We will share guidance and eligibility criteria on these grants as soon as possible.