Coronavirus (COVID-19) For information on changes to our services, what you can do to protect yourself, support your community and guidance to assist employers and businesses visit our Coronavirus pages.

Sex establishments

To run a sex shop – ie any premises selling sex toys, books or videos – or a venue where explicit films are shown to members of the public, a licence is required.

However, you may apply to waive the requirement of a licence.

Apply online for a sex shop

You can apply online using the Government's website:

Eligibility criteria for open a sex shop

An applicant:

  • must be over 18 years old
  • must not be disqualified from holding a licence
  • must have been resident in the UK at least six months immediately prior to the application or, if a body corporate, must be incorporated in the UK
  • must not have been refused the grant or renewal of a licence for the premises in question within the last 12 months unless the refusal has been reversed on appeal


  • 01594 810000