Council Tax bands & appeals
The Valuation Office Agency (VOA), not the Council, allocates every property one of eight bands based on its value on 1 April 1991. Even if you live in a new property the VOA will work out the band based on what the property value would have been in 1991.
- You can find your property’s council tax band by looking at the Council Tax Valuation List at the Valuation Office Agency’s website. You can access this website at the Council office reception.
|Council Tax Band||Property Value|
|A||Up to £40,000|
|B||£40,001 to £52,000|
|C||£52,001 to £68,000|
|D||£68,001 to £88,000|
|E||£88,001 to £120,000|
|F||£120,001 to £160,000|
|G||£160,001 to £320,000|
Please note that we are unable to advise on timescales regarding VOA band allocation.
Appealing your Council Tax banding
You may be able to appeal your Council Tax band. For more information contact the Valuation Office:
- visit Valuation Office Agency website
- call 03000 501501
- write to The Valuation Office Agency, Council Tax West, Overline House, Blechynden Terrace, Southampton, SO15 1GW.
- email Valuation Office Agency
If you appeal against your banding you must continue paying your Council Tax until a decision has been made.
Annual Council Tax Charge
Once you know your property band you can view your annual Council charge:
Appealing your liability
If you disagree with some aspect of your council tax bill because you do not think you are liable for the council tax, or you think an exemption or a discount should be applied, please write to the council in the first instance.
There is a right of appeal to the Valuation Tribunal against the council’s decision. Appeals can be made in writing to:
- Valuation Tribunal, 2nd Floor, 120 Lehman Street, London E1 8EU
For more information: