rating button

Coronavirus (COVID-19) For information on changes to our services, what you can do to protect yourself, support your community and guidance to assist employers and businesses visit our Coronavirus pages.

Apply for Building Regulations approval

You usually need building regulations approval if you:

  • put up a new building
  • extend or alter an existing building
  • convert the loft space
  • replace your windows
  • install services or fittings in a building including the following:
    • washing and sanitary facilities
    • hot water cylinders and foul water and rainwater drainage
    • replacement windows
    • any fuel burning appliances
    • some electrical work.

See below to select either the:

  • Full plans application for large scale home alterations and all commercial developments or
  • Building notice application for minor domestic work at your home

If you need advice on whether your project needs building regulations approval, or to view building regulations approved documents:

Full plans application for commercial developments and alterations


Use this application when you are planning to build a new house or a large extension and an architect has drawn up plans and you will be getting quotes from several builders.

Commercial property

For both new and alterations to existing commercial premises use the full plans application so we can consult the fire service.

Apply for building regulations

View building regulation fees

View contact list of builders

Please return your application with the following:

  • All detailed plans, elevations and sections and technical notes, supporting calculations and specification
  • A 1:1250 block plan showing the property and the proposed alterations
  • Payment - for your personalised quotation please contact one of our officers on 01594 812315.

Process for the full plan building regulations application

  • You send in the application and detailed drawings
  • We check that the plans meet the Building Regulations - we aim to do this within 3 weeks but it may take longer if there are issues that need to be discussed
  • If the plans are acceptable then approval is given
  • If there are minor issues then Approval with Conditions is given
  • When the work starts on site a number of inspections are carried out to check that the Building Regulations are being met. For more information see Building Control inspections page.

Building notice application for minor building works

Use a building notice when a competent builder is doing minor domestic work at your home.

The building notice method is just to let us know that building work is being carried out and you can begin work 48 hours after submitting the notice.

The actual detail of the method of construction is discussed and agreed on site as the project progresses.

Building regulations for replacement windows

If you are replacing your windows you need to apply for Building Regulations unless the installer is registered with one of the following:

  • BSI
  • BM
  • TRADA or

To apply for building regulations please:

Building regulations exemptions

If the person carrying out the work is registered with one of the following approved bodies they can do the work without applying for Building Regulations. These include the following:

For further information on buildings and works that are exempt from building regulations see: