rating button

Coronavirus (COVID-19) For information on changes to our services, what you can do to protect yourself, support your community and guidance to assist employers and businesses visit our Coronavirus pages.


If you plan to demolish a building, or part of a building, you may need to submit a Demolition Notice, giving six weeks' notice, to:

  • our building control team;
  • neighbouring owners and
  • electric, gas and water service providers.

You don’t need to notify us about demolition of:

  • buildings with an external size of less than 50m3 which is smaller than the average double garage
  • building extensions on a larger building that consist of an attached conservatory, shed or garage
  • buildings used solely for agriculture
  • work in occupied buildings where it is intended that it should continue to be occupied.

Fill in a demolition notice

Please download and fill in the:

If required, we will send out a 'counter notice' with conditions in the interests of public safety and neighbouring owners/occupiers.

Starting demolition work

Demolition work should only start after either:

  • we have served a counter notice; or
  • six weeks after the demolition notice was sent; or
  • we've confirmed in writing that a counter notice will not be served.

Listed buildings and Conservation Areas

  • Any alteration or demolition of a listed building requires Listed Building Consent
  • The substantial or complete demolition of an unlisted building in a Conservation Area may require consent - see Conservation Areas

Asbestos materials

If materials containing asbestos are found during demolition, please:

If the skip operator or other contractor is not licensed to transport asbestos based products, you need a licence - please contact: