Planning enforcement deals with breaches of planning controls, including:
- Unauthorised building or engineering works.
- Unauthorised change of use of land or buildings.
- Non-compliance with Conditions attached to a Planning Permission or Listed Building consent.
- Unauthorised works to a Listed Building (internal and external).
- Unauthorised work to a tree with a Tree Preservation Order or other trees in a Conservation Area.
- Unauthorised display of advertisements.
We take all possible breaches of planning control seriously and investigate them as quickly as possible. Many breaches can be resolved through discussion with the landowner who then voluntary rectifies the problem. Issuing an enforcement notice is considered a last resort seeking regularisation. A copy of these formal Notices can be viewed at the Council offices by making an appointment 24 hours in advance.
Some cases do, however, require swift and decisive action by the Council and we may exercise our 'right of entry' onto land where access is denied.
Unauthorised works to a Listed Building, unauthorised display of advertisements, unauthorised works to protected trees or trees within a Conservation Area or breaching the requirements of a formal Notice is a criminal offence.
Concerned about an unauthorised development?
Report unauthorised development
Please include your contact details and the following information:
- The exact location of the site.
- The nature of the suspected breach.
- When the breach started.
- The problems it is causing.
Alternatively, please email or write to our planning team:
- Forest of Dean District Council, Council Offices, High Street, Coleford GL16 8HG
- Email email@example.com
Complaints are always dealt with confidentially and there is no public right to access information about complainants. Please be aware that information is treated 'in confidence' but that the investigation may be made public.
We aim to deal fairly with all concerns about unauthorised development and must establish the facts before considering whether any enforcement action should be undertaken.
For more information about how we deal with the complaint:
- View our Enforcement plan