Skip to main content

Coronavirus (COVID-19) For information on changes to our services, how to get help, support your community, advice and grants for employers and businesses visit our Coronavirus pages.

  1. Home
  2. Business and licensing
  3. Apply or renew business licences and permits
  4. Alcohol and entertainment
  5. Personal licence

Personal licence

A personal licence authorises a specified person to supply alcohol or allow the supply of alcohol at a premises which has a valid premises licence.

A designated premises supervisor (DPS) must hold a personal licence. The DPS is the person named on a premises licence who has day to day responsibility for running the premises.

You must apply to the licensing authority in the area which you live.

Personal licences are granted for an indefinite period and do not expire unless surrendered, suspended or revoked.

How to apply

DBS certificate can only be accepted if it is less than 30 days from the date of issue

Details of how to apply, the eligibility criteria, fees and documentation:

Right to work and immigration status (Immigration Act 2016)

Since 6 April 2017, individual applicants and applications from partnerships which are not limited liability partnerships are required to provide documentation to prove entitlement to work/immigration status.

To hold a licence an individual or member of a partnership must be resident in the UK and:

  • Have the right to live and work in the UK and
  • Have no conditions preventing them from doing the licensable activity 

To prove this you need to include copies or scans (which don’t need to be certified) of the following documents:


The fee for a personal licence is £37.

What happens next

Providing there are no unspent relevant offences the licence will be granted. You can expect to receive your licence within seven working days.

If there are any unspent relevant offences we must consult with the chief officer of police (COP) for them to determine whether the offence has a detrimental impact on the crime and disorder licensing objective. If we receive an objection from the COP then the application will need to be considered by the licensing sub-committee.

Change of name or address 

To change your name or address on your personal licence please return your card with a covering letter and proof of new name (if changing) along with payment of £10.50 (this can be cheque or card payment by telephone) along with a new passport photograph.

Replacement Licence

If your licence has been lost or stolen, please call our customer services team on 01594 810000 and make a payment of £10.50. A new licence will be sent to you.