Hackney carriage vehicle licences
The most up to date source of information for keeping you and your passengers safe during Covid-19 is on Gov.uk.
To operate your vehicle as a taxi you need to get it licensed.
Hackney Carriage (taxi) vehicles
- can be hailed immediately (or pre-booked) by customers
- can use the designated taxi ranks anywhere within the Forest of Dean District Council area
- have maximum meter fares set by the council
Partition or screen
Whether a partition or screen should be installed during the Coronavirus Pandemic is a matter for vehicle owners, drivers or operators to consider.
Read our policy on screens and if you want to install one please fill out the request form and return to us.
Requirements of licence
- For new and transfer applications the vehicle must be less than five years old from date of first registration.
- For renewal applications the vehicle must be less than 15 years old from date of first registration.
- The vehicle must be fitted with a meter, roof signs, no smoking signs, first aid kit and fire extinguisher
Wheelchair accessible vehicles are exempt from the Age Policy. Specialist vehicles such as purpose built hackney carriage, Rolls Royce or stretched limousines may also be exempt from the age policy at the discretion of the licensing officers.
Documents required with application
- Insurance showing that you are covered for hire and reward and public hire use
- Meter calibration certificate
- An MOT (unless the vehicle is less than one year old from registration date)
- V5 (or proof of purchase)
- Completed application form (when you sign this you are agreeing to our conditions which can be found in the Hackney Carriage and Private Hire Policy)
- LOLER and weight test certificate (wheelchair accessible vehicles only)
Hackney carriage licence fee
The fees are:
- £250 for a new licence*
- £185 to renew a licence*
*a 40% discount is applied to wheelchair accessible vehicles.
Please return your completed application form, documents and fee by:
- Email (pay by phone) email@example.com
- Post or deliver to: Environmental and Regulatory Services, Forest of Dean District Council, Council Offices, High Street, Coleford, Glos, GL16 8HG.
Your licence will be processed within five working days.
We are aware that drivers may face difficulties with getting medicals done as surgeries are cancelling non-urgent appointments. There has been no official advice from the government and so we will be seeking permission to do the following:
- If you have had an appointment cancelled or are unable to make an appointment we will require a letter stating your medical condition has not changed since your last medical report. If no contact is made before expiry then suspensions will be issued in the normal way.
- New applicants will not be issued with a licence until they have complied with all the requirements including medicals.
- Existing drivers with pre-existing health conditions will be dealt with on a case-to-case basis.
Taxi licence renewals
Please make sure that you know your licence expiry date. Renewal documents will not be provided so as the licence holder it's your responsibility to:
- download the application form from this page
- make sure you return the form to Environmental and Regulatory Services (ERS) seven working days before the licence expires
If you allow your licence to expire you will need to submit a new application rather than a renewal and new application criteria will apply.
Renewals due in the next 6 months
For any renewal (driver or vehicle) that is due in the next six months we will allow you to pay over a 12 month period. This will be 12 monthly direct debits and a mandate must be completed before the licence is issued. Failure to pay an instalment will result in the licence being suspended
You can also defer the application and the renewal application will be honoured at a later date. Provided that all requirements are met for licensing then the application will be charged as a renewal. If this is a vehicle, it must be for the same vehicle registration number. The 15 year upper age limit will still apply and vehicles will not be relicensed that have met this age limit.
This will be reviewed in August.
Transfers of vehicle licences
Transfers follow the same requirements as new vehicles and will be processed within one working day.
Transfer vehicle fees
|Temporary Vehicle (Insurance Company)||£246.00|
|Transfer vehicle licence to another person||£25.00|
|Transfer vehicle to another vehicle (1 year)||£180.00|
|Transfer vehicle to another vehicle (remainder of plate)||£86.00|
|Change of Registration Number||£86.00|
Other vehicle fees
|Replacement Vehicle Internal Plate||£28.00|
|Replacement Vehicle External Plate||£33.00|
|Administration charge for any other requests||£25.00|
We will not refund any licences.