Skip to main content
  1. Home
  2. Environment
  3. Landscape and grounds maintenance
  4. Tree maintenance

Tree maintenance

The owner of the land that the trees grow on is responsible for the tree. Contact the legal owner or speak to your housing association if you are a housing association tenant.

Report trees, hedges and other overgrown shrubbery overhanging footpaths and roads to Gloucestershire Council

Planting trees

You do not need to apply for planning permission to plant trees. Make sure that you are not planting trees too near buildings as growing trees could damage foundations or deprive your neighbours of light.

Cutting down and pruning trees

You should check if the tree is protected by a Tree Preservation Order (TPO) or if it is in a Conservation Area before carrying out any work. In certain circumstances you may require a felling licence from the Forestry Commission

If a tree is protected in any way, you will need to apply for our permission.

For trees which overhang your property or land you can cut it back to your boundary but you should inform the owner of the tree that you will be doing this and offer them the branches back. You also need to check if it is protected first.

Ash dieback

If you think a tree is suffering from Ash dieback you can get advice on what to look for and how to report an infected tree on the Forestry Commission website.

Selecting a tree surgeon

A tree surgeon, sometimes described as an arboriculturist, arborist or arboricultural contractor, will do tree work to a specification. The Arboricultural Association, which produces a list of approved contractors, can be contacted on 01242 522152.

Get at least three written quotes, including the cost. Tell the contractor when you would like the work to be done as quotes may only be valid for a certain time.

The contractor should provide proof of at least £2 million Public Liability Insurance. They should make sure any tree debris is disposed of properly.