Skip to main content
  1. Home
  2. Business and licensing
  3. Apply or renew business licences and permits
  4. Alcohol and entertainment
  5. Premises licence
  6. Premises licence new applications

Premises licence new applications

A premises must have a licence to:

  • sell alcohol
  • serve hot food or drink between 11pm and 5am
  • provide entertainment – other than background music
  • provide music-making or dancing facilities

Businesses do not need a licence to deliver food.

Off-sales guidance

There is new guidance from the Government on temporary alcohol off-sales permissions. It includes information on:

  • the purpose of the temporary off-sales extension
  • the difference between pavement licences and alcohol licence
  • the new summary off-sales review process
  • general advice on conducting off-sales


  • £100 to £1,905 for a new licence – dependent upon the rateable value of the premises
  • £10.50 – to update or replace a lost licence

How to apply

The guidance includes more information on the eligibility criteria, fees and the documentation you’ll need.

Apply for a premises licence Apply to be a Designated Premises Supervisor

Right to work and immigration status - Immigration Act 2016

To hold a personal licence, you must live in the UK. You must also provide proof that you:

  • have a right to work in the UK
  • have no conditions that stop you doing the licensed activity

You must include copies, or scanned copies of these documents:

What happens next

You should advertise the application for 28 days at the premises, and in the public notices section of the local newspaper.

If we do not receive any representations against the application within the 28 days, then we’ll issue the licence.

If we do receive a representation from a responsible authority or interested party, then the licensing sub committee may need to review the application. We’ll arrange a hearing within 20 working days after the representation period ends.

Mandatory licence conditions for premises that sell alcohol

You must comply with certain mandatory conditions if your premises licence includes retail sale of alcohol.

If you fail to comply with any conditions of your premises licence, you may get an unlimited fine and/or a prison sentences of 6 months.

Statement of Licensing Policy

Forest of Dean District Council’s current Statement of Policy will expire in 2021.