Dogs lost and found
Report or claim a lost or stray dog
To report or claim a lost or stray dog:
- call 01594 810000 9am to 4.45pm Monday to Thursday and 9am to 4.30pm on Friday or
- email firstname.lastname@example.org
If you pick up a stray dog, we will collect it and take it to our council-appointed kennels. The owner will then have seven days to claim him or her.
Out of office hours
Kennels are open until 8pm Monday to Thursday and 6pm Friday to Sunday:
- Sling kennels 01594 832536 or 07876 641854
- Littledean kennels 01594 822296
If a dog is microchipped with up-to-date contact details we will get in touch with the owner to confirm we have their dog. The quicker we can contact the owner, the lower the kennelling charges.
Kennelling charges for stray dogs
Charges to release an impounded dog are as follows:
|Kennelling per day||£10.00|
|Veterinary fees||At cost|
|Chipping of non-chipped dogs||£15.00|
To claim the dog the owner must provide a description together with personal identification and pay all outstanding costs. After seven days, if the dog has not been reunited with its owner it will be offered for adoption and found a suitable new home.
A summary of our stray dog procedure:
Dangerous dog incidents are dealt with by Gloucestershire Constabulary so to report an incident please:
- phone 101 non-emergency number
Microchipping and responsible dog ownership
It is a legal requirement that your dog is microchipped. Microchipping helps us reunite you with your pet quickly. If you would like one of our Street Wardens to micro-chip your dog:
- at your home costs £15.00 per dog or
- at the council offices in Coleford for £10.00 per dog
If you are thinking about owning a dog, or if you already have one:
- Make sure that your dog is trained in basic obedience. Look for a local training class.
- Worm your dog about every 4 months, puppies more frequently. Ask your vet for advice.
- Clean up after your dog - bag it and bin it!
- Make sure your dog has a collar and tag with your address details. This is a legal requirement and without it, you could be fined. Your telephone number and postcode are optional, but useful.
Please read our dog owner's guide:
Ignorance of the law is no defence. Please contact us if you need advice.