Skip to main content
  1. Home
  2. Planning and building
  3. Planning permission
  4. Find out if you need planning permission

Find out if you need planning permission

Some types of development do not need planning permission. This is called permitted development. In some areas permitted development rights may be restricted, for example, if you are in a conservation area.

Find out whether you need planning permission on some of the most common types of projects. Common projects include, loft conversions, porches and smaller single storey house extensions.

You will need to apply for planning permission for most major changes to buildings or a change of use.

It is your responsibility to find out if you need planning permission or not.

Need further help to determine?

We know how confusing it can be, so we offer a paid for service where we will do the checks to determine whether you need to apply for planning permission or not.

Service detail:

  • the appropriate fee for the enquiry (see our pre-application advice service for more details)
  • we confirm whether you need to apply for planning permission
  • you only need to provide basic sketch plans, making sure that dimensions are clearly indicated (in metres, not feet)
  • you get a decision from the council within 28 days stating whether or not you need to apply for planning approval
  • our decision is written advice if planning permission is required, which is useful when selling your home
Get advice on if I need permission

Need help with your application?

Once you know that you need planning permission, we can check if your plans are likely to be approved before you make the formal application, saving you time and money.

See our Pre-application advice service for more details.

If you do not need planning permission

You may not need planning permission but you could still need building regulations approval.

Prior approval and notification

You may need to let us know what you are going to do, this is known as prior approval, which is required for:

  • larger home extensions
  • agricultural or forestry developments
  • demolition of buildings
  • developments for electronic communications networks
  • some changes of use

Getting proof that your development is legal

If your development is permitted development you can get proof by applying for a lawful development certificate. There are two kinds of certificate:

  • for proposed work 
  • for work which has already been done, including those in breach of a planning condition