Cabinet roles and responsibilities
Following the elections on 4 May 2023 we will be updating these webpages gradually. Some information may be out-of-date.
Role of a Cabinet member
Cabinet members are responsible for:
- leading on developing council policy and make recommendations to the Cabinet
- providing guidance to the Cabinet on developments within the portfolio
- giving guidance to the Cabinet on budget priorities
- monitoring performance and make sure policy is delivered
- leading on improving council services
- making sure that activities meet the council's overall vision, core values and guiding principles
- contributing to debate and decision-making
- working with councillors who are not members of the Cabinet, members of the opposition and officers to make sure that the overview and scrutiny process works correctly
- appearing before and responding to overview and scrutiny committee reports
- representing the council at a national and local level
Each Cabinet member is the spokesperson for the policy area or 'portfolio' they are responsible for.