rating button
Skip to main content

Coronavirus (COVID-19) For information on changes to our services, how to get help, support your community, advice and grants for employers and businesses visit our Coronavirus pages.

  1. Home
  2. Environment
  3. Flooding


Warning We are contacting those affected by recent flooding. Residential properties that have reported as flooded can expect information soon on how to proceed with claiming financial help for recovery. To qualify your home must have been flooded and have been your primary residence at the time of the flooding.

Report flooding

Call 999 for immediate assistance if there is a risk to life or a risk of serious property or environmental damage.

As well as contacting the relevant bodies listed in the table, please report all imminent flood situations or incidents of actual property flooding to the district council engineering teams who will then also be made aware of the issue for future reference and action.

To report  Contact  Contact details
Burst water main or sewer flooding  Severn Trent Water

Emergencies (24hr): 0800 783 4444

Severn Trent water website

Burst water main or sewer flooding Welsh Water

Emergencies (24hr): 0800 085 3968

Welsh water website

Roads, blocked gullies, gratings and drains Gloucestershire County Council

08000 514514 (24 hrs)

Gloucestershire County Council website

Main river flooding Environment Agency

General enquiries: 03708 506 506

Incident hotline (24hr): 0800 80 70 60

Environment Agency website

Flooding from other watercourses such as a stream or ditches Land owner

Report flooding and drainage problems

Forest of Dean District Council:01594 810000

Prepare for flooding

The Met Office flood warning service has three types of warnings that will help you prepare for flooding and take action known as flood warning codes. For help understanding flood warning codes visit:

You can also register for the Environment Agency's free flood warning service by visiting Flood Warnings Direct or calling 0345 988 1188.

Protect your home from flooding

Useful information on how to prepare for a flood:

The Blue Pages Flood Directory gives details of where to get flood protection products and services.

If you are affected by flooding and are in need of temporary accommodation call 01594 810000.


We do not provide a sandbag service to residential or commercial properties, however sandbags can be purchased from most builders’ merchants.

Building a sandbag wall

Sandbags are cloth bags that hold sand or soil so that a low wall can be built to dam the flow of water. Lay plastic sheeting under and around the wall to make it more water tight and use the sandbags to hold the plastic in place. Sandbags are only effective for water up to about 20cm or 8 inches deep.

The Gloucestershire Local Resilience Forum has produced a video guide on how to effectively protect your property against flood water using sandbags:

Make your own sandbags

You can use the following as sandbags:

  • bin liners or carrier bags filled with soil
  • grow bags are the right shape and light enough to be carried around
  • buy products that inflate from the National Flood Forum directory

Property owners or occupiers should reuse or dispose of their own sandbags once the risk of flooding has subsided:

  • Empty and dry the sacks so they can be used again
  • Dig the sand into the garden to help with drainage.

Travel during flooding

Walking: Do not walk through flooded areas - there may be hidden dangers such as open drains, damaged road surfaces, submerged debris or deep channels.

Transport and travel: Do not try to drive through flooded roads or fords - the water is often deeper than it looks and your vehicle may be swept away or you may become stranded.

For the latest travel and transport information visit:

Clearing up after a flood

For all flood damaged properties the first thing that residents need to do is contact their insurance company so they can assess the damage, and the insurance company will inform residents not to remove anything until they have visited.

The insurance company should also arrange for house clearance, clean up and supply dehumidifiers.

For useful information see:

For health related queries:

Do not re-enter your house until all floodwater has been removed. The fire service may be able to help you with pumping floodwater out of your house but if the water is still rising, there is no point pumping out as it will only come straight back in. See: